On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:27:52 PM UTC+5:30, Robert Kern wrote:
> On 2013-11-27 08:16, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> > Op 26-11-13 22:42, Tim Delaney schreef:
> >> On 27 November 2013 03:57, Antoon Pardon  wrote:
> >>      So I can now ask my questions in dutch and expect others to try and
> >>      understand me instead of me asking them in english? Or can I use
> >>      literal translations of dutch idioms even if I suspect that such
> >>      a literal translation could be misunderstood and even be insulting?
> >> 1. No, because this is stated to be an English-speaking list/newsgroup.
> >> It just doesn't specify what dialect of English.
> > Well so much for this group being an international group with only one
> > language allowed.
> > However that second sentence doesn't make much sense to me. Modern
> > languages contain a subset that is called the standard language.

> Linguists would disagree.

Linguists disagree a lot amongst themselves:

Early 20th century there was Fowler and his followers -- unabashedly
laying down the law on what is right and not.  Then there were his
opponents (French school I think, not sure what they were called --
poststructuralists maybe??) who said language was defined by usage and
not the other way.  Until someone (Fowlerite?) pointed out that those
anti-Fowlerites seemingly objectively described all the dialects but
they themselves stuck to pristine Queen's English.

So like in society, all dialects are equal and some are more equal!