"Laura Creighton" <l...@openend.se> wrote in message news:mailman.977.1437831069.3674.python-l...@python.org...
I can answer some of these.

Posted by E.D.G.   July 25, 2015

Thanks for all of the comments. My retired professional programming colleague is now going to have plenty of projects to work on. I myself am neither retired nor a professional programmer and usually rely on him to do the programming language exploration work.

Most of those "system," "Pipe", and "SendKey" type commands usually refer to programs that are going to be running in a Windows environment. And many or most of the experienced programmers who are using Perl, Python, or Fortran appear to me to be using UNIX or Linux. So they might not be familiar with some Windows related commands such as "system." It took me a long, long time to learn how to get the Perl versions of those commands to work.

Regards,

E.D.G.