On 26/07/2015 20:17, E.D.G. wrote:
"E.D.G." <edgrs...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:jf6dnqimoz_gxc7inz2dnuu7-s2dn...@earthlink.com...

Posted by E.D.G.   July 26, 2015

        These are some additional comments related to my original post.

       The effort I have been discussing actually involves developing a
totally free version of some language that scientists around the world
could easily install and use.

1.  With my own science related Perl programs I provide people with .exe
versions in addition to the .pl versions.  And for the .pl versions, at
one of my Web sites there is actually an entire Perl programming
language directory available in a .zip package.  So, people can download
the file, unzip it, and then save it as the Perl directory and .pl
programs will then run on that computer.  We would like to be able to do
the same thing with Python if we start working with that language.  And
a response in another post indicates that this should be possible.

2.  Python looks especially attractive because so many people are using
it. And I myself have a friend who is a very experienced professional
Python programmer.  On the other hand, there are so many versions of
Python that it might be difficult at first to determine which one to
start with.

3.  I asked that Python programmer if Python could run on an Internet
server as a CGI program.  And the answer was "I have no idea."  So,
amusingly, apparently even experienced professional programmers don't
know everything there is to know about a given programming language!

4.  I myself know that Perl programs will run on Internet servers as CGI
programs and have written several myself using a development program
called Xampp to create and test them before installing them on the
server computer.

5.  My retired professional programming colleague has now told me that
he downloaded and installed the ActiveState Windows version of Python
with no difficulties.  So, that is encouraging news.

6.  He said that he is looking around for a good IDE for Python and
found one called "Eric" that he is checking.

7.  With my Perl language programs I have developed a resource that will
do the following.  And I imagine that this could also be done with
Python. This resource can't be developed with many and probably most
programming languages.

       In part because of limited calculation speeds it can take one of
my important probability calculation Perl programs as much a two hours
to run and create all of the necessary data arrays.  Many, many millions
of calculations are involved.  And once everything is set, for time
limitation reasons it would be ordinarily be impossible to make any
changes to the data or to the original program code without losing all
of the data.

       So, I have developed a special Perl program that makes that
possible. And as I said, I am guessing that this approach would also
work with Python.

       When the Perl program is done with its calculations, instead of
ending it jumps to another Perl program.  But all of the data in the
arrays it created remain active in memory.  The original program code
can then be changed.  The second Perl program is then told that the
changes are complete and that it should return to the first program.
Perl then attempt to recompile the original code.  If it is successful
it then uses the new code and does whatever is specified.  The
previously created arrays are still active in memory using the same
array names etc.

       If there was an error in the new code, a Windows screen appears
explaining that there was an error and the compilation ends.  But, the
data remain in the active computer memory.

       Changes can then be are made to the program code to fix the
error. And, the second Perl program is told to try again.  If there are
no new errors the first program recompiles and runs using the already
created arrays etc.

      This is a very useful resource for scientists as it lets them
create and test new program code without having to recreate all of the
data arrays. And as I stated, it would probably not be possible to
develop such a resource with most programming languages.

Regards,

E.D.G.

Am I the only person thinking Troll?