On 12/10/2015 03:45, Michael Torrie wrote:
On 10/11/2015 06:34 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
That's called type inference, and there's nothing innovative about Swift to
include that as a feature. Type inference is *old*. The theory behind type
inference goes back to 1958, and languages such as ML and OCaml have
included it for decades, and yet here we are in 2015 and people think that
it's something cool and new :-(

C++ introduced it a while ago (C++11), and D has had it from the
beginning.  Even lowly FreeBasic has it.

I've surprised Basic needs it. The last time I looked, $A was a string, %B an integer, and C a number. Type inference wasn't hard!

(And trying Freebasic, it insists on variables being declared anyway. It's rather like C but with Basic syntax.)

--
Bartc