On 17/02/2018 20:11, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 1:47 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay, I'm curious. How did C# force you to make extra HTTP requests
that were no longer necessary when you rewrote in Python?

It didn't *force* those requests to be made, but the code was so large
and convoluted that I doubt its original author realized that the
requests were being repeated.

By making the code MASSIVELY simpler, Python allowed me (as the
programmer) to see where improvements could be made. When you have
thousands upon thousands of lines of code, it's far harder to
recognize where one function's job overlaps another's, and harder
still to figure out a clean way to reduce the duplication without
breaking everything.

That's a very interesting observation.

I've frequently made the complaint about systems that I consider large and complex also leading to such issues, where no one individual can see the whole picture.

For example, in the system used for building CPython from source.

But I guess what you're describing doesn't apply in such cases. Those 20K or 30K lines of configure scripts really /are/ necessary!

--
bartc