On 07/16/18 03:39, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Good for you.

But Python is not a programming language written to satisfy the needs of
people like you, and ONLY people like you.

It is a language written to satisfy the needs of people from Uzbekistan,
and China, and Japan, and India, and Brazil, and France, and Russia, and
Australia, and the UK, and mathematicians, and historians, and linguists,
and, yes, even people who think that if ISO-8859-7 was good enough for
Jesus, the whole world ought to be using it.

When I create a one-time use program to visualize some data on a
graph, I don't care if anyone else can read the axis labels but me.
These are realities.  A good programming language will allow for these
realities without putting the burden on the programmer to turn *every*
program into a politically correct, globalization compliant model of
modern groupthink.
And here we get to the crux of the matter. It isn't really the technical
issues of Unicode that annoy you. It is the loss of privilege that you,
as an ASCII user, no longer get to dismiss 90% of the world as beneath
your notice.

Nice.

90% of the world *is* "beneath my notice" when it comes to programming for myself.   I really don't care if that's not PC enough for you.

Had you actually read my words with *intent* rather than *reaction*, you would notice that I suggested the *option* of turning off Unicode.  I didn't say get *rid* of Unicode.  I didn't say make it *harder* to use Unicode.  Once again - reaction rather than reading.

Obviously, the most vocal representatives of the Python community are too sensitive about their language to enable rational discussion.

-Jim