On 18/04/19 1:24 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 17Apr2019 21:45, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
On 2019-04-17 21:20, DL Neil wrote:
Do you bother with exception handling for import statements?
[...]
Catch only what you (well, the script) can fix.

If it needs numpy, but can't import numpy, then when can it do? Might as well just let it fail.

I'm of this mind too, but...

I suppose an alternative might be to try to download and install numpy and then retry, but what if it can't be downloaded, or the installation fails?

As an example of what an open ended can of worms attempts recovery might be, yeah. How hard do you try? But also, "installation fails": that isn't always a clean situation: it can litter the install area with partial junk.

But this is also a bad example: it is something an _invoked_ programme should never try to do. Except by specific deliberate design and request, a running application shouldn't presume it has rights to install additional things, or even to try. I have personally (though metaphorically) clipped devs across the ear for doing themselves the moral equivalent of the above: try thing, then just "sudo try thing" when it was forbidden.

+1

Installing additional packages is the same as self modifying code: as a rule, the admins install packages, not the app.

+1

Sorry, ranting now over.

Not at all, an excellent point which needs to be taken out and dusted-off, every now-and-again - particularly for such ear-clipping training exercises!

--
Regards =dn