On 2024-05-14 16:03:33 -0400, Grant Edwards via Python-list wrote:
> On 2024-05-14, Alan Gauld via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
> > On 14/05/2024 18:44, Gordinator via Python-list wrote:
> >
> >> I wish to write a terminal emulator in Python. I am a fairly
> >> competent Python user, and I wish to try a new project idea. What
> >> references can I use when writing my terminal emulator? I wish for
> >> it to be a true terminal emulator as well, not just a Tk text
> >> widget or something like that.
> >
> > The first thing is to decide which terminal.
>
> If you want to make life easier, make it a superset of a terminal that
> already exists in the terminfo database.
>
> Going with some sort of ANSI terminal will probably provide
> operability even with dumb apps which ignore $TERM and just spit out
> basic ANSI escape sequences.

And if you want to go for a superset, xterm might be one of the more
useful: https://www.xfree86.org/current/ctlseqs.html

> If you really want to break trail, you could invent your own control
> sequences, which means you'll have to write terminfo and/or termcap
> entries as well as the terminal emulator.

Right. A saner model than ANSI and its supersets might be a good idea
conceptionally. But I'd expect quite a few programs to break.

> > A VT100 is very different from a 3270. And even a VT330 is quite
> > different from a VT100 although sharing a common subset of control
> > codes. And if you start looking at graphical terminals things get
> > even more interesting!
>
> "Intersting" is putting it mildly...

Yup. Also there aren't many programs which use, e.g. xterm's
pixel-graphics capabilities.

OTOH, there is something like domterm[1], which can (theoretically)
display anything a browser can display.

        hp

[1] https://domterm.org/index.html