On 2024-05-14 22:37:17 +0200, Mirko via Python-list wrote:
> Am 14.05.24 um 19:44 schrieb Gordinator via Python-list:
> > I wish to write a terminal emulator in Python. I am a fairly competent
> > Python user, and I wish to try a new project idea. What references can I
> > use when writing my terminal emulator? I wish for it to be a true
> > terminal emulator as well, not just a Tk text widget or something like
> > that.
> >
> > If you have any advice, please do let me know!
>

> Not sure, what you mean with:
>
> > true terminal emulator as well, not just a Tk text widget or
> > something like that
> If you want to write a GUI terminal, than that *is* a terminal emulator and
> *has* a text widget as its visible core. If you want to write something like
> getty which runs on the virtual terminals (Ctrl+Alt+F*) than that is a
> terminal (not a terminal emulator).

Getty isn't a terminal (unless there is another program of the same
name). It's a small program to set up a serial communication line.
Basically it waits for the modem to connect, sets the relevant
parameters (bit rate, byte width, parity, ...) and then hands over to
login. Of course in the case of a linux console there is no modem and no
serial line involved, so it doesn't have much to do. (Of course this
raises the question whether the Linux console is a terminal or a
terminal emulator ...)

        hp