On 2024-09-30 at 11:44:50 -0400,
Grant Edwards via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:

> On 2024-09-30, Left Right via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
> > Whether and to what degree you can stream JSON depends on JSON
> > structure. In general, however, JSON cannot be streamed (but commonly
> > it can be).
> >
> > Imagine a pathological case of this shape: 1... <60GB of digits>. This
> > is still a valid JSON (it doesn't have any limits on how many digits a
> > number can have). And you cannot parse this number in a streaming way
> > because in order to do that, you need to start with the least
> > significant digit.
>
> Which is how arabic numbers were originally parsed, but when
> westerners adopted them from a R->L written language, thet didn't flip
> them around to match the L->R written language into which they were
> being adopted.

Interesting.

> So now long numbers can't be parsed as a stream in software. They
> should have anticipated this problem back in the 13th century and
> flipped the numbers around.

What am I missing?  Handwavingly, start with the first digit, and as
long as the next character is a digit, multipliy the accumulated result
by 10 (or the appropriate base) and add the next value.  Oh, and handle
scientific notation as a special case, and perhaps fail spectacularly
instead of recovering gracefully in certain edge cases.  And in the
pathological case of a single number with 60 billion digits, run out of
memory (and complain loudly to the person who claimed that the file
contained a "dataset").  But why do I need to start with the least
significant digit?