Derick Van Niekerk wrote:

> I uninstalled everything, deleted any remaining dirs, rebooted and
> reinstalled only python, wx and win32. Still the same problem. So I'm
> sure the problem is not with the python libs themselves...

That is an unjustified conclusion.  You may be sure that the problem was
not caused by a bad installation of Python or wx, but in no way have you
eliminated the Python libs or wrappers from suspicion.

> ...and it must be a problem somewhere else - probably with the OS -
> but where?
>
> I replaced all the relevant dlls (except user32dll, which is always in
> use it seems) - still no dice.
>
> How can I replace user32.dll? Where else can I look for the source of
> the problem before going so far as reinstalling windows?

Unless you have been infected by a virus, user32.dll is not broken.
Please eliminate that option from consideration.  Windows constantly
monitors all of the critical system files and replaces them with hidden,
cached copies if they change.

Do you run any real-time virus or spyware checkers?  Have you tried
disabling those temporarily to see if it makes a difference?

You might try running HijackThis
(www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php).  Create a log and send it to
me, and I'll see if there are any Windows hooks installed that might be
interfering.

--
Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]