Tim Golden wrote:
Ross Boylan wrote:
I've encountered a glitch: I can't seem to update the values in the rules I retrieve. The relevant snippet is
<python>
con = wmi.WMI(namespace=wpcns)
rules = con.WpcURLOverride (Sid=kelsey.SID)
for r in rules:
    if r.URL.endswith("facebook.com/"):
        # flip whether or not the site is allowed
        r.Allowed = 3 - r.Allowed
        r.Put_()
        print r.URL, r.Allowed, "(%s)"%allowInterp(r.Allowed), kelsey.name
</python>
This never changes the value of Allowed, even between the line where it is set and printed out, much less between runs.

Just occurs to me: there was a bug in versions < 1.4.6 which would have
caused this. Are you using the latest version? (I'll still try to get
hold of a Vista/W7 machine to try out on...)

Finally managed to persuade someone to lend me a Vista machine to
put Python etc. on. Installed virgin copy of Python 2.6, pywin32-214
and wmi 1.4.6 (all from the net). Created dummy non-admin account to
which to apply parental controls. Randomly "Allowed" google.com and
"Blocked" facebook.com.
cmd run as administrator

Ad-hoc Python session more-or-less as follows:

<non-verbatim Python session>
import wmi

sid = "...."

c = wmi.WMI (namespace="cimv2/Applications/WindowsParentalControls")
for i in c.WpcURLOverride (SID=sid):
 print i.URL, i.Allowed

#
# http://google.com 1
# http://facebook.com 2
#

for i in c.WpcURLOverride (SID=sid):
 i.Allowed = 3 - i.Allowed

for i in c.WpcURLOverride (SID=sid):
 print i.URL, i.Allowed

#
# http://google.com 2
# http://facebook.com 1
#
</Python session>

Back to Parental controls admin panel and Google is now forbidden,
Facebook allowed.

I realise that this doesn't really help you very much if it actually
doesn't work for you, but I really wanted to make sure I didn't have
a lingering bug in the code there.

Not sure what else I can offer at this point but very happy to
answer more questions / try more things if it will help.

TJG