Gareth Walters wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>

> I have done some python work before but I new to the COM stuff. I am
> trying to Create a MXD and layers to it from python. I have been
> looking at this PythonNet stuff and it is all getting a bit blurry.
>

> I was wondering if you could give me some pointers to basically get
> python recognizing the ArcMap class or do you have any code that would
> help me get to that point?

There are a number of web resources for this.  Google for "arcmap
python" and you should find some good hints.  It looks like there are
even some Python modules available for this, although I don't know if
they apply to your particular case.

If you do need to use COM, you'll need to know the name of the COM class
object to create.  You would then do something like:
    arc = win32com.client.Dispatch("ArcMap.Application")
Then you can use methods on the "arc" object.  Note that I'm just making
up that name -- I don't know what the class really is.