On 31/05/2011 16:26, Mark Mordeca wrote:
Thanks for your reply Tim.

If this is true, I hope to get some advice on how to correct the problem.

Just a couple of quick answers, because I'm dashing off. One is that
we have code which uses the technique you're demonstrating to *write*
Excel dozens of times a day around the business and I'm not aware of
ever having seen the Crash Dialog. Obviously that doesn't necessarily
help your case, but it is a datapoint nonetheless.

If all you're doing is reading data from Excel, you might want to
look at xlrd. Try the http://www.python-excel.org/ website. The
advantage is that you get a cross-platform, straight-to-the-data
API into Excel. The disadvantage is that it doesn't do everything
which you can achieve via COM.

TJG