Docker looks well suited for deploying an application that is already set
up in its own environment by a developer. I like the idea because it moves
the build step over into the developer's responsibility. So like, if I set
up my docker container exactly how I want, and test it, and it works, then
I know it is going to work when it gets deployed to some other machine.
This would replace the process where you have an application and you have
to get someone to run your build script to provision the machine and
install libraries and hopefully avoid conflicts.

You also get the benefit of cgroups so you can control resource usage. I've
been working with them as well in my own applications.

It does require a bit of extra work for OSX and Windows though, since you
first have to install a virtualbox/vagrant thing and then run docker
through that.