I've been using PySide mainly, but like others have mentioned, I write my
apps to run standalone as opposed to within Maya. I have also written some
of them to be agnostic of either PySide or PyQt4 in the sense that I will
import them once in a single module, and then all the other modules in my
application just import QtCore/QtGui/... from that module. This lets me
switch on the one that is available in that one module, and set things like
SIP API v2.

It is kind of more annoying if you need PyQt support in the newer Maya's,
since less people are building installers since PySide started being
included. Up until 2014, you could find Maya PyQt for Windows/OSX/Linux. I
stopped building my OSX installers since then.