On 19-Apr-06, at 8:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Christopher Barker wrote:

> They look great, but what the heck is "DATA"?

It was has's [idea][1] for what a .pyo/.pyc icons should look like, similar to how script editor allows saving of plain text .applescript files with an icon labeled "TEXT".

[1]: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2006-April/016912.html

DATA is fine then I guess.  The regular .py files should probably be badged "Python" as well, for users unfamiliar with the logo, and it could include a few lines of code (steal some from the cookbook) in the same font and colour as the "DATA" icon (see my thoughts on that below)

> .pyc/.pyo files - Python binary code document,

> executable but non-editable (should be similar to

> .py/.pyw icon, exept indicating binary content); these

> are mostly auto-generated by Python for efficiency. I'd

> suggest a variation of the .py icon that indicated

> binary content, e.g. a light backdrop of rows of random

> 1s and 0s, or a word like '011010', 'byte' or 'data' in

> its lower half.

Ok, this is what I tried to do with those examples.  Do people like them as is, or are there other ideas?

The general idea is good, but the implementation looks a bit cluttered.   You could reduce the conflict by greying out the 10010 somewhat, making the font smaller (more lines), and leaving a bigger gap between the bottom of the 101010 and the word DATA.    Somebody did this work for the last set of Python logos.  Does anyone have the source?

> PythonLauncher.app application - a drag-n-drop script

> runner. Possibly use something similar to the Applet

> Launcher.app for Java.

Grey rocket ship with python logo on the front?  This might work, but also might look kind of lame, like the java Applet Launcher icon does. Then again, I don't have any great ideas for better ways to do this.

See my last email.  Yeah, the potential for lameness is there, but maybe you can do something with it.

Also, does anyone have anyone have any suggestions for the glassy python logo before I go ahead and make a bunch more icons based on it?

I like it, but Aqua has tuned down a lot its glassiness in recent years.   I would tone down the difference between highlights and shadows myself, but I'm not going to argue about it :)

Good job!
   Brendan
--
Brendan Simons