On 30 Aug, 2010, at 20:54, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> However, the python.org binaries all use Tcl/Tk 8.4 (presumably because
> that is the version Apple ships with MacOS X), which does not support
> tile/ttk.

Your assumption is correct: the python.org binaries are linked with Tk 8.4
because that is what Apple ships.

There will be an intel-only installer for 2.7.1 and 3.2 that does use Tk 8.5, I
haven't had time to work on that  yet though (as usual the OSX port for Tk 8.5
contains backward incompatible changes for platform-specific behaviour like the
application menu and those changes break IDLE; there is a patch for that on the
python tracker which I need to properly test and integrate).

Ronald