I've finally found some more time to fiddle with this problem. The
problem appears to be related to the fact that I'm using one script
that grabs data from three different Wikipedias (English, Norwegian,
and Swedish) with three different accounts[1]. Doing them in order the
script correctly logs in to each one, and when it later returns to the
first one it seems to think it's logged in.  Looking at the cookie
info I see that the centralAuth info is correct for the Swedish
account, not for the English, and there are cookies for user ID and
username for each of the three langauges.  So if the script thinks
it's logged in to English Wikipedia and sends the request, the API
will correctly notice that the info isn't consistent and throw the
error.

Is my reasoning correct here?  Is there something I can do on my end
to force a login every time, or should I instead write my scripts so
they run separately for each account?

Footnotes:
1: Once upon a time it seemed like a great idea...
2: Need to be logged in to read the patrolled flag, from what I've
been able to figure out.

Cheers,
Morten