On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 03:49:23PM GMT, Alex Bennée wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrangé <berra...@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > I don't want to loose that clear & easily understood meaning, by overloading
> > "deprecated" for scenarios like "it is sometimes better to use a different
> > device instead of this one, depending on factors X, Y & Z".
>
> I agree we shouldn't overload the meaning if deprecated.
>
> So to this case in point. Is there anything you can do with usb/hub that
> you can't do with the newer xhci based one?

Well, it's a hub.  You can (virtually) plug it into a usb root port of a
ohci/uhci/ehci/xhci host adapter and get 8 more usb ports.  Those new
ports are usb 1.1 only though, so not very useful in a modern world,
except maybe for HID devices which don't need much bandwidth.

> Is it backward compatible
> enough that an old kernel would work? Or are we talking really old
> kernels at this point?

Pretty much everything should be able to drive the usb hub.

take care,
  Gerd