On 25/07/2024 01.35, Richard Henderson wrote:
On 7/25/24 03:52, Thomas Huth wrote:
The Avocado v88 that we use in QEMU is already on a life support
system: It is not supported by upstream anymore, and with the latest
versions of Python, it won't work anymore since it depends on the
"imp" module that has been removed in Python 3.12.

There have been several attempts to update the test suite in QEMU
to a newer version of Avocado, but so far no attempt has successfully
been merged yet.

Additionally, the whole "make check" test suite in QEMU is using the
meson test runner nowadays, so running the python-based tests via the
Avocodo test runner looks and feels quite like an oddball, requiring
the users to deal with the knowledge of multiple test runners in
parallel (e.g. the timeout settings work completely differently).

So instead of trying to update the python-based test suite in QEMU
to a newer version of Avocado, we should try to better integrate
it with the meson test runner instead. Indeed most tests work quite
nicely without the Avocado framework already, as you can see with
this patch series - it does not convert all tests, just a subset so
far, but this already proves that many tests only need small modifi-
cations to work without Avocado.

Only tests that use the LinuxTest / LinuxDistro and LinuxSSHMixIn
classes (e.g. based on cloud-init images or using SSH) really depend
on the Avocado framework, so we'd need a solution for those if we
want to continue using them. One solution might be to simply use the
required functions from avocado.utils for these tests, and still run
them via the meson test runner instead, but that needs some further
investigation that will be done later.

Now if you want to try out these patches: Apply the patches, then
recompile and then run:

  make check-functional

You can also run single targets e.g. with:

  make check-functional-ppc

You can also run the tests without any test runner now by
setting the PYTHONPATH environment variable to the "python" folder
of your source tree, and by specifying the build directory via
QEMU_BUILD_ROOT (if autodetection fails) and by specifying the
QEMU binary via QEMU_TEST_QEMU_BINARY. For example:

  export PYTHONPATH=$HOME/qemu/python
  export QEMU_TEST_QEMU_BINARY=qemu-system-x86_64
  export QEMU_BUILD_ROOT=$HOME/qemu/build
  ~/qemu/tests/functional/test_virtio_version.py

The logs of the tests can be found in the build directory under
tests/functional/<arch>/<testname> - console log and general logs will
be put in separate files there.

Still to be done: Update the documentation for this new test framework.

I'll say again that the download *must* be handled separately from the test with timeout. This is an absolute show-stopper.

I've tried this twice now, from a decently fast connection in central Brisbane, and have had multiple downloads be canceled by the timeout.  Since the download isn't clever enough to pick up where it left off, it will never succeed.

 Hi Richard,

just for my understanding, did you try to run the tests in parallel (i.e. something like "make -j$(nproc)")? ... I think in that case you can easily clog your internet connection even on modern systems if a lot of tests are trying to download the assets in parallel.

For me, it works fine if I use normal serial testing with "-j" (btw. Avocado v88 is doing serial testing, too, so you won't lose much time during the first run here). But if downloading fails for you without "-j", too, I agree, we need to tackle that problem first, e.g. by implementing what Daniel suggested. That will take a little bit longer, of course, so I hope you meanwhile found a work-around for the problem with the missing "imp" package on your system?

 Thomas