On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 08:42:31PM +1000, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On 7/25/24 19:55, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> > > I'll say again that the download *must* be handled separately from the
> > > test
> > > with timeout. This is an absolute show-stopper.
> > >
> > > I've tried this twice now, from a decently fast connection in central
> > > Brisbane, and have had multiple downloads be canceled by the timeout.
> > > Since
> > > the download isn't clever enough to pick up where it left off, it will
> > > never
> > > succeed.
> >
> > This is a tricky problem the way the tests are currently written, given the
> > desire for a minimal-change from the old avocado impl.
> >
> > IIUC, avocado already had a per-test timeout, so would suffer the same
> > problem with downloads exploding the "normal" running time when cached.
>
> Avocado runs a first pass doing all of the downloads, and only afterward
> runs the actual timed tests.  I don't know the specifics of how, but it
> certainly obvious in the logging.

Oh interesting, I found how it does it..

The file avocado/plugins/assets.py will build an AST of the python
code in a test file, look for all 'fetch_asset' calls, then extract
the parameters to these calls, and donwload them. This is clever.
Basically avoids the refactoring that I suggested.

So yeah, that is a gap.

Practically speaking, we have a choice of either  calling into this
avocado python lib as is, or copying tthat python lib into QEMU.

With regards,
Daniel