On Feb 24, 2013, at 9:13 PM, John Tull wrote:

>> I looked at it today.  They have a good wiki page on compiling for OS X, and
>> I got it compiled with minor tweaks.  Now that I understand how Saga is used
>> in Sextante, and how Saga in installed, I think Saga could be bundled with
>> QGIS.  The saga_cmd would be in the app package bin/ where it would be found
>> automatically by QGIS, and the libraries in lib/.
>>
>> If saga_cmd loads command libraries by relative path (ie ../lib/saga, as
>> they are installed), this would work simply without any environment settings.
>>
>> But if saga loads them by absolute path (ie the configured --prefix), and
>> there is no env setting to set a different path, this would be bad since it
>> would lock down the whole QGIS app to the build path (a Mac app should work
>> if the user moves or renames it, though it is kindof discouraged since it
>> confuses installers).  I could try an easy test outside of sextante/qgis by
>> renaming my saga install folder and trying to run a simple command.
>
> Does it look like something worth creating as a framework? Having the
> commandline saga might be useful for some if it is not nontrivial.

Well, the OS X build wiki page says you can package it as an app, which makes
sense, though it's not part of the standard make install.  The saga_gui program
is what gets launched in that case.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no particular
pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the
allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it
wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war