Ken,
That's a legendary effort if your getting sensible results with the icsm files. Do you think the format is suitable that it could be used in a sponsored bug fix?

I gave this a shot myself but couldn't get it run at all, but then I have no idea what I'm doing so thats no real indication.

I've had no success in getting parameters to stick (AGD66, AGD84 or GDA94) on shape or mapinfo files.

Following solution was proposed by Roland Hill (22/09/2010  8:59pm)

If your Custom CRS database does not appear to be working properly (ie you can see your custom CRS, but it isn't sticking to your data properly), then try to find your custom CRS database (qgis.db in your home directory on Linux, I guess it is in Application Settings or something similar in Windows) and delete it in case you have an old one with an incorrect format.

Brett