On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Richard Males <rbma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would very much appreciate any thoughts on if/how QGIS currently
> deals with this, or references to documentation or postings on the
> issue.

Hi Richard

Contributed QGIS python plugins have similar security issues like any
other extension code that can be downloaded. It is important to note
that with _any_ python plugin downloaded from repository you cannot be
100% sure that no malicious code is inside. The server could have been
hacked, an author's credentials could be stolen or even a previously
trusted author could put on his black hat (and add some malicious code
intentionally)...

In case you are aiming for maximum security I would recommend to use
one of following approaches:
1. host a local repository within your organization with "known" and
"safe" plugins. It is really easy to set up one (a web server +
repository xml file + plugin archives). A customized installation of
QGIS would use this repository by default. This is a flexible approach
and allows upgrading/adding plugins quickly by the admin and it is
convenient for users.
2. disable python plugin installer completely in a customized
installation, put there only chosen plugins. Less flexible, but more
secure - no new plugins, no updates to plugins. (But still possible to
add plugin installer or other plugins manually)
3. provide an installation without qgispython library - that
effectively disables running python code within QGIS. Most secure,
least flexible.

Anyway, AFAIK qgis itself should never try to do anything where it
would need admin rights. So another piece of security (for users with
some admin privileges) would be to disable qgis to escalate its
rights.

Regards
Martin