Thank you and to all others who have posted replies.   I did not
expect that this issue would call forth so many responses.  There have
been a number of helpful suggestions.

Please note that, in some cases, the users I am trying to convince are
in government agencies that have very specific and stringent policies
about software installation.   In one case, only authorized IT
personnel are permitted to install any software on employee computers.
  I am not sure that these policies have come up against the world of
open-source, plug-in based architecture.

I don't know if it goes totally against the philosophy of QGIS, but
maybe there could be a feature to allow an admin option within QGIS to
require password protection before being able to fetch plugins or
activate plugins.  I expect that it could be defeated, but might help
to allay some concerns.  Under this scenario, a QGIS administrator who
could get at a QGIS "security options" screen where various features
such as downloading plugins could be enabled/disabled for a particular
user installation.

If anyone is interested, the project I am working on involves
estimating delay on transportation networks when roads are flooded.
The architecture has the road network represented in QGIS, which is
then exported to a Spatialite database via a contributed plugin. From
there, a C# program reads the database and does the needed shortest
path and delay cost estimation calculations.  Choosing this
architecture has made things very modular and workable.

QGIS is wonderful software, this is a terrific community.   I
introduced QGIS to a professor who is working on my project and uses
ArcGIS, showing him the line direction decoration capability and
Nathan W's lineswitch plugin, and he responded:  "That's interesting
about QGIS, because we have had much difficulty do the same thing in
ArcGIS.".

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Dick