Hi,
don't know if i understand the matter correctly, but what i extracted from Stefans initial question is, that there is no v.in.ogr accessible in Sextante, and therefore no advanced options for snapping and minimum areas to import from e.g. shape files. Especially for badly digitized polygon layers, this one-time import into GRASS with the advanced options cures almost all errors for me in 99% of the cases.

v.clean.snap, as it was suggested by Paolo, is no alternative for that, cause snap seems not to handly polygons but only lines! ("snap: snap lines to vertex in threshold" from grass manual). So, i never found an easy way for topologically cleaning polygon layers through other v.clean functions as easy as with v.in.ogr, but as long as it's not accessible in Sextante, i still have to manually import it in GRASS (with all the mapset and location hokuspokus, most people do not understand)

Maybe i'm completely on the wrong track. In this case: Please direct me ;)

Cheers
Bernd