Nyall wrote:
I suspect the lines aren't **exactly** coincident. I'd try:

- multiparts to single parts
- snap geometries to layer, to snap the end points exactly to each other
- retry merge

I tried this, no joy. still getting multi-linestring with 2055 segments.
So here's what I tried next -
multiparts to singlepart
export to csv, saving geometry as wkt.
verify that endpoints match exactly to the precision written to the file
Import csv as layer
merge

again, no luck

I looked at the attribute table and the lines were in some random order- adjacent segments were not consecutive rows in the attribute table. Then I noticed that every row had the same FID.
I closed the layer, opened the .csv in excel, verified that the rows represented consecutive points, then assigned consecutive FIDs.
imported csv as layer
merge

again, no luck. Still have 2055 rows in the attribute table of the merged layer, in that same seemingly random order as before.

A purely brute force solution was to export as csv, as above, then edit the file by removing the endpoint of each segment, and concatenate them into a single linestring with 2055 points.