Hi,

Using your layer directly into merge lines algorithm worked properly on
QGIS 3.4 in Linux. That is, in the end, I got one single feature that is no
longer multi. (if I try to go multipart to single part I can't get the
individual segments).

What does not work (but it's intended) is if you have a layer full of
single segments that connect to each other and try to merge them together
using "merge lines". In that case, I needed to dissolve all layers first,
and then use the merge line tool.

Hope it helps,

Alexandre Neto