In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Dilwyn Jones wrote:

Anyone know anything about a series of 'mail delivery failure'
messages from all over the place yesterday and today? They all seem to
be 42K but I haven't dared view them as my AVG anti-virus reckons
they're suspicious though doesn't know what they are, so I deleted
them all.

Someone has a virus, and it's sending mail out to recipients claiming to be from other peoples' emails. You're getting the bounces because you're listed as the sender, even though you're (probably) not.

Nasty.
There are two other possibilities both equally annoying. One is that these are spam. I have had a number of 'returned messages' which, when you look at the message turn out to be an ad for a medicine beginning with 'V' - can't mention the word because those of you with spam filters may lose the message.

The other one is that this is a variant on the Netsky virus (NetskyD I think) The virus is in the 'returned message' or 'attached fragment' and they disguise it as a returned mail to fool you into opening it. I have had a load of these at work recently.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.

  • ... Dilwyn Jones
    • ... Dave P
      • ... Jeremy Taffel
      • ... Roy wood
    • ... Darren . Branagh
      • ... Tony Firshman
        • ... Wolfgang Uhlig
          • ... Tony Firshman
            • ... Wolfgang Uhlig
              • ... Tony Firshman
              • ... "Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)"
              • ... Lau
                • ... Wolfgang Uhlig