Thanks for the advice Wolfgang. I am using the supplied front end. I sent for it from Roy Wood at Qbranch when I saw it advertised in the last issue of QLToday.
Its advertised a high colour upgrade and the front end is version 4.12, whilst the engine is still v3.14. I have returned to using my old version front end (v4.07) which works perfectly OK. I know it must be the front end at fault because I can do all the filtering I need with the old vers., save it and then on opening the new vers. everything is as it should be! Try filtering on more than one level with the new front end version will just filter everything..ie: nothing is selected! I will send the new front end to you if that is allowable under all this copyright stuff that I seem to have stirred up .. Let me know, and many thanks for the offer of help.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Wolfgang Lenerz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Perfection

On 8 Oct 2004 at 8:36, Brian Kemmett wrote:

The problem as I said, is that the new version will not filter a database
past the first stage. applying further filters simply applies a filter where
nothing is selected. On inspection of the filter screen from level 2 onwards
just shows 'MEMO', even though I have placed the 'use only previous levels'
in the box. It always reverts back to 'memo'

Now this is pretty strange, since I use DD with at least 5 filter levels, and
this works OK here.

But then, I'm doing this via a basic prog.
Are you doing this via a Basic (or C, or assembler) prog, or (which seems
to be the case) via the supplied front end?
I rmember that there were several versions of this, one made by Joachim (which I have)
and a later one made by ??? (cound it be B Reinhard?) which I don't have.

In this case I'd bet it's the front end, not the DD engine. Are you using the latest version of DD? Can you send me your frontend prog?

BTW Brian - no need to get all frustrated. You will often find that if you air your
problems here, many will try to help/solve.
So no need to get all bitter!

Wolfgang