On  Mon, 22 Nov 2004 at 19:37:07, gwicks wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>----- Original Message ----- From:
>Subject: Re: [ql-users] Fw: ENOUGH is ENOUGH and MORE THAN ENOUGH
>

>> Despite what got said in and about this letter, I don't consider it
>>offensive in the form which was forwarded. There are issues of
>>'netiquette' (shouting etc) which someone fairly new to the list might
>>not  be expected to be aware of.
>>

>As one of the persons "named" in the letter (or rather not named, but
>everyone knew whom John meant) I agree fully with the above sentiment.
>We have slagged Quanta off and thus they have a right to reply. Equally
>John must accept there will be robust reactions.
>
>I do take exception to the section on Tony that John still included in
>his version especially after his preaching to me about the legal
>implications for Quanta in making personal comments.
I did too.  However John has emailed me since in soothful tones, and I
have calmed down (8-)#

I am very near a working form now.

http://firshman.co.uk/scripts/qq.cgi

(Yes John M & S, you did not need to add the www.)

I -think- the error checking is pretty complete.  There -will- be
problems so I would be grateful if people could try and break it.  The
underlying code was much more complex than I had imagined.  I was up
until 4am, and have spent most of today on it!

I had forgotten that not only did I have to maintain variables for the
items and error line, but also CHECKED and SELECTED for all the SELECT
and CHECKBOX items.  It didn't help that I still haven't worked out how
to use indirection in perl (hard and symbolic references).  I did all
variables using HASH arrays, which works fine.

The submit, if the form is parsed OK, will go nowhere right now.

I will email John S and also save the results locally, and sometime
write a program to add to an archive  database.

It will interesting to try it using JH's perl for QL, when we get a QL
webserver (8-)#

>As far as etiquette was concerned, after I received John's email
>personally, I wrote a friendly email to him explaining several points
>of the etiquette, and pointing out that he was not to know these on his
>first posting to the group. He did not reply, but from comments
>elsewhere I think he appreciated this and accepted it in the spirit
>that it was sent,
Is he subscribed now?

If so, that is one excellent result.

Tony
--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk