Rich Mellor wrote:
Do you want to put together a new zip which we can extract on the QL please Dilwyn...

And maybe your sample boot file
Well, I've made some progress.

Lynx starts. Lynx browses websites. I can now display 'help' after fixing path and file names (the only way to get it to work was to put Lynx in a one character directory name win1_l_ and the help files also into a 1 character directory win1_l_h_ because it needs a subdirectory called keystrokes win1_l_h_keystrokes_ so that files like win1_l_h_keystrokes_scrolling_help_html can be accessed without altering the html itself.

Basically, nothing works 'as supplied' and I've forgotten all the changes I made so I can't list them here. Best course of action is probably make a list of the various directories and filenames and let people figure it out. I had ot make a couple oif changes to Lynx_cfg to find the newly renamed and placed help files, don't think I had to change lynxrc though.

When browsing sites, you seem to get stray characters all over the Lynx display which makes it hard to read the text. I haven't yet figured out how to "fork" to UNGIF to display pictures. It will save zip files downloaded, seems to place them in either PROG_USE or more likely DATA_USE directory, haven't figured out which yet. As Lynx itself and its files are in win1_l_ some are accessed via prog_use, some by data_use so I haven't figured out what ends up where yet other than the fact that the programs Lynx, Fork, Cp and Mv have to be in the prog_use default, other examples given in readme_qdos in data_use. Not quite sure what Fork, Cp and Mv do yet, probably Linux-style programs to do certain specific actions. I also haven't quite figured out when I can use Windows-style URLs, when I can use QDOS-style filenames and when I need to use Linux-style filenames, which makes it all a bit confusing.

Yuk, too much for me at the moment, brain about to explode for tonight so giving up now for tonight.

So far, all I've proved is
(1) it can be made to work although it doesn't work "out of the box"
(2) even unzipping QDOS Lynx is disaster prone because of the filename lengths which CAN'T work as JRH supplies it
(3) I can download zipped files from my websites even if I'm not sure where they'll end up.
(4) cluttered screens (sporadic random text on screen) and '2' symbols by links, hard to get help files working, and a lot of the 'help' is meaningless or hard to follow to non-Unix/Linux people.
(5) you are unlikely to get it fully working as it stands without help or a long time crawling through endless files which mean nothing to non-Linux speaking users.
(6) the package is an uncomfortable marriage of QDOS and Linux - it's easy to tell JRH dislikes many aspects of QDOS such as the file system.
(7) navigation not obvious, but easy enough if you follow the commands list in help (basically left and right to forward and back through links, up and down to go from link to link on same page)
(8) haven't figured printing out yet, seems to print to the screen at the moment and nowhere else.

Next step is to assemble a Tim-Swenson style ready to go package, which I know will not meet with JRH's approval - I seem to remember a snooty email from JRH when Tim originally put it together. His package includes sources and all sorts of bits and pieces you don't need as a plain browser user.