Dilwyn, Perhaps I do not load Find properly? I get it into C:of my
PC using
WINZIP, and then in QPC I copy from DOS1_ to WIN1_ . Then I make
find_obj
executable with a makeEX_bas program. The size is 45092. But ex
win1_find
does nothing.
ex win1_find;"whatever" does nothing or hangs up.

I always feel a fool when in such situations so hope some wise
fellow will
put me straight.

Regards, Ian
1. You need to make sure you have Jochen Merz's menu extension loaded.
If they are not, just LRESPR MENU_REXT from whichever directory you
use to store MENU_REXT.

2. Toolkit 2 needs to be active (it should be automatically if you are
running on QPC2)

3. The simplest way to use it is not to use the find;"whatever"
option, but simply execute the program itself with no parameters, and
enter them in the menu when it appears. Here is how I get it to work.
I've put the program into win1_exec_ where I keep all my programs. If
you have QLiberator extensions in memory, you can use the FIND_OBJ
version of the program. If not you have to use FINDRT_OBJ. I'll assume
you will be using FINDRT_OBJ which will work whether or not you have
the extensions in memory:

EXEC WIN1_EXEC_FINDRT_OBJ

If it works, you'll see a simple menu and it might start with an error
message which says FLP1_ is not a valid directory if there is no disk
with files on it in FLP1_. Ignore this (click on OK and it will go
away.

You should now see a menu where you can enter ROOT and STRING. As you
move the pointer just to the right of these with the mouse, you'll see
boxes appear. If you click in these you can type in the ROOT (which
drive it's to search on, usually WIN1_ or FLP1_. You can specify a
directory if you wish - for example, WIN1_QUILL_ if you have a
directory called QUILL on your hard disk.

In the STRING box, enter a letter or word. To get used to it, just
enter one letter such as an A which it is almost certain to find.

Next, click on the FIND loose item below STRING. It will now start
looking for the letter or word you entered and list the names of files
it found in the black window at the bottom.

If you want it to look in sub-directories, you have to click on the
Descend loose item, although on my system at least this seems to cause
it to stop with a string is not numeric error.

And for people who use Jochen Merz's SCRAP this program is
scrap-aware. I haven't used it yet, but the manual says that the
output of the search can be sent to the scrap if you wish to paste the
results into QD, for example.

Programmers can also do hex searches with it. Click on Hex and enter a
hex string such as 4AFB and it wil search for that hex value.

It also has a full set of command options so that external programs
can use it like a kind of search engine for local files I guess.

Just occurred to me, we could start a new trend by writing very short
reviews of free programs here!