[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> There are often good reasons for using array slices. Although work-arounds
> are usually possible, they may require shifting data into other arrays which
> is both time and space consuming.
>
> An array descriptor merely presents a logical view of the data. If Turbo
> at present just sees that a parameter is an array and ignores any indices,
> then parsing those indices would have to be implemented - something that
> could be a major job! If, however, the indices are accessable to Turbo, then
> its simply a matter of creating a descriptor based on those indices - not
> much more difficult than creating the descriptor for the whole array?

The problem as I see it is that the slicing information, which could only be
used by Turbo for a machine code extension, would have to be sent by Parser
via the intermediate code to codegen which would then have to package it so
that
in the "proc/fn_rom" section in the entry code (taken from the Turbo library
and put in every compiled task) the appropriate (new) code could use the
information to set a correct S*BASIC type descriptor.

The new code in the entry code is easy. It is the other bits that are not.

George