>The latest beta test version of Turbo, v4d21, should soon be on >the SQLUG
>site. This one has compiled QPTR's "demo_bas" (after some >modifications).

I'm curious, what kind of modifications? Dimensioning of strings?
I've read the readme of v4c21 and it sounds pretty promising. What
grade of compatibility do you think you'll be able to achieve?

Turbo won't pass undimensioned simple strings as parameters to machine code
routines. Nor will it pass sliced arrays. All other types of parameter can be
passed.
In Easyptr, the MAWDRAW command often needs a sliced array.

Consider a list of files, stored in f$(). We assume a maximum of, say, 480 files:

DIM f$(480,36)

If the list was only 60 files long, the application window menu might be set up with:

MAWDRAW #ch%,1,f$(0 to 59)

(example from memory, open to correction of course).

This sort of example could probably be rewritten in most cases to do 2 passes to read the number of files (pass 1), then dimension the array accordingly, then pass 2 does the actual reading of filenames to the array f$(), thus avoiding the need for an array slice.

I presume this means this would not be possible under Turbo as it stands (sliced arrays cannot be passed to m/code extensions, although in this case only passing by value of the array slice is required), although what you have already done to Turbo is of course a most welcome development.