----- Original Message -----
From: "John Gilpin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 11:41 AM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] get back on topic

> I can't understand your comment about Manchester always being a difficult
> location for a show. It has a brilliant transport network of motorways,
> long
> and short distance bus routes and a high speed tram service. It is the
> very
> hub of the rail network and the International Airport is well within
> striking distance of the chosen venue..

I am sorry but you are looking at this from the point of view of a
Manchurian and not an outsider.

But before I continue let me make it clear that I fully support shows in
Manchester and if you can think back 3 years when were talking of a
prestigious international event ("QL2004") I was highly in favour of
Manchester for the event and practically everyone else against.

I have been to the last four shows in Manchester and as far as both
accommodation and transport are concerned all have been on a scale that
started with "difficult" and ended with "total nightmare". The nearest
hotels to the venue are usually fully booked and two years ago I was quoted
£60 for 2 star accommodation. I know other people who abandoned plans to go
to Manchester that year for just that reason. I know this is not NEMQLUG's
fault, but it is a handicap for you in organising the show. Perhaps the best
you can do is try to pick "away game" weekends. Remember is practically the
only venue for the regular shows where more people need overnight
accommodation than don't need it.

I will concede that you have good motorway connections both to Manchester in
general and the Endeavour in particular. Probably the best with the
exception of Byfleet. However for some travellers the presence of those
wonderful hills in the Peak District stuck on the west of Manchester can
lengthen some journeys.

Public transport is not as rosy as you say. Manchester may be a major rail
head, but the long distance operator is Virgin, notorious for its high fares
and unreliability. Don't forget the two Scottish attendees abandoned plans
to come by train and came by air instead. People coming via Sheffield soon
find that both Central and Northern Trains only run 3 coach trains and often
just 2. Last time I couldn't even get on the first train and only managed
the second by sitting in the vestibule.

Public transport within Manchester is also good, but not to the Endeavour.
If you don't agree with that, how come you have never been able to tell me
how to get to the scout hut by public transport?

I stress again this is not a reason to stop holding shows in Manchester.
Indeed I would insist that you continue to do so, but I think you should
realise it is not just a case of apathy --- although that plays a part in
the poor attendance --- it is also a matter of people having to make an
extra effort to get there,

Best Wishes,

Geoff