> All in all I don't really think there's any difference in safety
> between the left and right side, people can get used to both.
>
> Marcel
<rant>
You probably forget the inevitable British resistance to change. How
long have we been "thinking" of going metric? It's rare to find a
young shop assistant here these days who can think in ounces and
pounds, inches etc (actually they often can't think metric either, but
that's another issue), so why not take the plunge and stop being
different to everyone else?

What I'm getting at is that we've spent so long dithering on the issue
(my generation were brought up with both) that isn't it time our road
signs went to km and km/h for example?

All these years we've taught ourselves the way of the rest of the
world, yet an extremely vocal minority manage to keep us with the old
ways.

Set a target for switching driving sides at some point in the not too
distant future and work sensibly towards it, educating people with
constant publicity and so on, and apart from a few  drunk drivers
who'll forget while drunk (who would probably have had accidents
anyway), with time we'll be so used ot the idea that everyone will
wonder what the fuss was about! So, to get drivers to switch from one
side of the road to the other we need "middle of the road" politics
for a few years ;-))

When smoking bans etc were first mooted, everyone cried it'd be the
death of the pubs and licensed trade etc etc. Experience of countries
like Ireland proves it can work with the right will and approach. I've
never smoked, but have seen plenty of people I used to think would
never submit to a ban on smoking in public places actually fall
quietly into line. The only thing about smoking bans in public
buildings like hospitals is that you have to walk through a big crowd
of smokers by the front door.

My only concern with things like this that in this country at least we
all hate and distrust our politicians so much (even though
statistically this country does seem to have one of the less corrupt
political establishments) that if they dared say anything, the knee
jerk reaction would be to oppose anything they said, so it's be a
quick kiss of death to anything suggested by politicians.

</rant>

So, to get us back on topic, I take that argument and wonder if anyone
can persuade Tony Blair and John Prescot to make a public
pronouncement that QLs are a very bad influence on society and must be
banned with immediate effect. Then everyone will go out and try to buy
one just because politicians said not to!