There's a lot of information for people returning tot he QL scene on
my website at www.dilwyn.uk6.net

You've made a good start by joining the ql-users mailing list where
people like Neil Reilly have already found a wealth of people willing
to share experience and offer help.

Although your QL will still serve you well, after a while I would
suggest getting a QL emulator if you have a PC or Mac. For a PC (i.e.
Windows) you can get QPC2 (commercial, the one I use), QemuLator for
WIndows (shareware, $40), uQLx for Windows (Freeware I think), QLAY
and QLay 2 (both freeware). For a Mac, the only two choices are
QemuLator Lite for Mac (freeware I think) and uQLx for Mac (also
freeware).

Get back into the swing of things with your original QL at first, then
you can decide if you wish to progress further you can either acquire
more modern QL hardware or go down the emulators route.

1. Gold Card is a combined memory expansion (2MB) and disk interface
which can handle HD and DD floppy disk drives,a nd adds a full 68000
processor instead of the 8-bit data bus 68008 in the QL.

2. Super Gold Card is a development of the above, with 4MB memory,
68020 processor and capability to handle all floppy disk formats
(including DD, HD and ED 3.2MB).

3. QUBIDE is an IDE interface able to accept most IDE style hard
disks. Although individual partitions are limited to about 256MB each,
larger drives can have multiple partitions, up to a total of 8, about
2.5GB IIRC. Qubide connects to the QL expansion port and has a through
connector into which you can plug your memory expander/disk interface.
Some adaptation is needed in respect of power supplies etc, which is
why Tony suggested it may be easier to think about building it all
into a PC-style case. There is also a QL-compatible motherboard called
Aurora which is somewhat easier to build into a PC-style case,
although you still need a backplane board to provide extra expansion
card slots and so on.

4. The ultimate modern QL replacement is a newer computer called the
Q60, which is a fast and complete QL compatible with the option of
16-bit colour graphics, inbuilt hard drive, sound system etc. This is
an expensive option though, as it can cost hundreds of pounds.

The various interfaces mentioned are mostly discontinued by now,
although plenty turn up as second user hardware, either via the
established QL traders like RWAP (Rich Mellor) or Q-Branch (Roy Wood),
or via web places like e-Bay.

The user group Quanta is still going and still publishes a newsletter
and holds meetings (mostly in the UK) from time to time.

QL Today magazine is still going - published by Jochen Merz Software.

If you want a QL manual, or to read the Gold Card/Super Gold
Card/Qubide manuals, refer to my other website at
http://dilwynjones.topcities.com/index.htm where you can download
replacement manuals for various old QL hardware.

Good luck, and welcome back, Ian!