On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:55:39 -0000, Malcolm Cadman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tony Firshman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>
>> Neil Riley wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I would happily fork out £300-350 for a SDGC
>>> ( Super Duper GC ) but it would have to be a
>>> marked jump in performance from SGC and allow
>>> for reasonable graphics. Being a gamer I dream
>>> of QL Quake ( wel it is open C source ! ) running on
>>> a Black box QL.
>>>
>>> It is developments like this that kick start the bedroom
>>> coders.
>>>
>>> Oh yes, count me in.
>
>> .. but not graphics I think.  That would still have to be down to the
>> motherboard.
>
> Yes, but programs like QWord show that the OS can now do good graphics
> ... it just needs another platform to run on, at present.

That depends on your definition of platform.

We decided that a 4 colour version of QWord would not be playable.  An 8
colour version was getting there, but you could only have a small grid and
so it was fairly pointless.

However, with an Aurora motherboard, QPC2 or Qx0, the possibilities were
much more hopeful.  Heck, we even made certain that it would work on
Aurora (plus SGC) without SMSQ/e.

It is interesting how new hardware can encourage people to write software
- we are working on an IDE / CF adaptor for the Spectrum (the DivIDE Plus)
and should actually manage to get this on the market for around £50, with
designers in Poland.  However, the firmware is based on an earlier device
- the authors have been inspired to make use of the additional
functionality, but then they do not want payment for their work.

Maybe that is the best side of the Sinclair market - people like to see
just what can be squeezed out of the old machines.

The problem is that there are no new QL hardware designers and it would be
a steep learning curve for anyone who wished to work on a new project.
Quanta offered funding to assist with new design, but there has to be the
market, willingness and time.  Then we need firmware authors - Tony Tebby
always seems to have been closely involved in any hardware project since
the start of the QL - who else has actual experience of writing firmware
for the QL who we could call on?

There are plenty of people still using the standard QL, but the figure
must be less than 200 and they must feel left behind.  Quanta is losing
its membership fast, as people realise that they cannot expand their QL
any more than they have already (either in terms of software or hardware),
and without access to the internet, do not see the still-thriving
community - I wonder how many Super Gold Cards lie hidden away in lofts
and cupboards forgotten.

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services