>>As an example of variety, I'll mention my confuser (computer :-)
>>room:
>>Three Macs (two of them laptops), two PCs (One 733, the other
>>133[!], a
>>custom build long ago), and several QLs (many still in styrofoam
>>boxes;
>>one somewhat working). Yes, internet connectivity for four of the
>>above. All as old as about 1999 or farther back, with OS's as old as
>>98SE or QDOS, or as recent as SuSE 10.x and Mac OS 10.3 . The Macs
>>e.g.
>>have been an education.
>>
>>"My life? What life? I have no life. O insuportable! O heavy
>>hour!"--Apologies to Messrs. Bill the Bard and Othello.
>>
>>Actually, I  _do_ have a life outside computers.
>>
>>Doug L. 37830
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> You are right, I have lots of different computers around too, mostly
> picked up for little actual cost.
>
> It is the activity that is the fun, not the OS as such.
>
> The so called "old" computers let you get at them, rather than the
> "new"
> computers which just give you ready made applications.
>
> --
> Malcolm Cadman
My son (age 11) is a good example of what you say.

I spend much of my time at work with Windows-based software and [apart
from being the office "expert" :-( fixing the odd glitch] I am purely
a user and don't get the same
enjoyment of using those computers as I do from my SMSQE/QDOS systems.

Whereas my son is quite competent at using the programs on his PC, he
takes little or no interest in how it actually works. The applications
are what he's into and what he (and his friends) can do with them,
whether it be games, digital camera, mp3, etc etc

He can't understand why I still use a system which is over 2 decades
old when I have a perfectly good fairly modern PC!

I've given up trying to explain to him :-)