Malcolm Cadman wrote:

> What are users experiences with portable computers ?
>
> Specification ... reliability ... features, etc .....

Compaq Presario X1000
60GB HD (upgraded to 120GB)
512MB ram
1.6 GHz Centrino
1680 x 1088 15.1" widescreen

Issues (in 3 years):
Original Fujitsu HD problems, but disk still in use in USB backup
AC inverter for screen tubes failed.  £21 far east replacement.
Key IDs wear off

Toshiba P100
200GB HD
1440 x 900 17" widescreen
2GB ram
2.1GHz dual core
Gb network
Very very high current consumption (120W) but battery lasts a
respectable 2.5 hours
3 standard R/W DVD
Digital video

Issues (in one year)

. Replacement motherboard and graphics card under gtee
. Replacement of nasty orange cover with another nasty orange one (cracked)
. Some keys now unreadable - but not replaced when they did gtee work!
. Supplied media centre XP very slow. Replaced with std XP (by me).
. Sound card not supported by Ubuntu Linux- but *everything* else
worked. Must check to see if the known problem is resolved.

I guess you will not want to know about my AST 386-25 that is still
working!  That was used to design my first pcb projects.

Tony

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://firshman.co.uk