Hi Malcolm,

> How exactly did you get Linux to co-exist with Windows XP ?

No rocket science there.

I reduced the space needed for XP on the disk (it came configured
with 2 partitions + 1 "hidden" one, with recovbery files on it, which
I junked pretty quickly,  since it aso came with CDs/DVDs with
drivers). I did this under windows itself, though.

Then I popped in a DVD that I got after downloading & burning the
corresponding .iso file from the Suse website.

The DVD is bootable and just goes into the opensuse setup routine.
It sees the free space, proposes a sensible confiiguration (one "swap
partition", one for the root directory and one for the "home"
directory, whilst leaving the windows ones alone) and installs linux.
That's it.
Pretty anticlimatic, I thought.

Everything works, even the hotkeys to make the screen
brighter/dimmer.

the laptop is about 2/3  years old, pentium M 1.7 Ghz, 512 MB ram.
Nothing special apart from that, it worked from day 1 until now
without a problem.

I've had at least 3 laptops and only had one single problem with one
(the screen backlighting broke, after about 3 years' use - repair was
not expensive, I can't remember now how much).

I still use normal computers, though, when I can.

Wolfgang