I was hesistant to do that too, but I've been using my Gateway Tablet PC as
my primary PC for the past few months now and haven't looked back.  When I
bought it about a year ago I pretty much maxed it out, so it's not like I'm
missing out on anything in regards to speed or features.  Plus, it allows me
to be anywhere in the house, which is important when you have a 3 and a 1
year old running about.  My main desktop has remained untouched in the
office in my basement for quite some time now.  The only thing I haven't
tried on the laptop as of yet is digital video production, but I have to do
that soon anyway, so we'll see (there's no reason why it won't work just
fine doing that).  I really don't see much of any reason to be on a desktop
for me anymore anyway, as I primarily game on consoles (most of what I enjoy
on a PC runs just fine on a non-gamer maxed system) and I can do all my
typical computer stuff just fine on my Tablet and then some (writing,
development, etc.). I have a networked all-in-one printer and wireless
everything, with everything else on plug-in-on-demand USB as well, so there
are no issues with needing to be tethered in one specific spot.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
Armchair Arcade, Inc.
http://www.armchairarcade.com
A PC Magazine Top 100 Website