Evening Dilwyn,

>> You'll need the Cygwin distribution to provide the Linux-like
>> environment: www.cygwin.com
>> Be careful, it can be a huge download of 50MB with 6,478 files to
>> install as I found to my cost...oh to know what I'm doing with Linux
>> and Cygwin :-((
Downloading everything by the sound of it!

>> Go on, give it a go, then you can tell me what I'm doing wrong...
> Back to the drawing board I think...Only 36,195 files to uninstall!
Ok, Cygwin as far as I remember gives you the opportunity to do a
download only and to save the files in a given location. That is the
best option. It doesn't install anything.

I'm assuming you have downloaded everything under the sun as you have so
many files to delete (simply go into the C drive and delete (shift
delete) the cygwin directory - that's about the easiest way to delete it.)

You should have only selected the "stuff you need" but that's half the
problem. Unless the UQLX files mention the bits of Cygwin that you need
- how do you know?

Off the top of my head, you probably need the C and/or C++ development &
runtime files plus the base system and all of X (or XORG these days?).

You need the development stuff to compile UQLX and the X/XORG files to
run it in a graphical environment.

Sorry I'm unable to help any further - I'm 100% Linux!

Cheers,
Norm.