OK George,

I don't confess to fully understand what you are suggesting might be the cause of my problem but I am prepared to add an extra window over the whole screen (borderless, I presume) to see if it provides a solution. I will report back later.

Thanks to all who have spent their time on this BASIC problem. It is most appreciated.

Regards to all,

John Gilpin.