On 3 Oct 2009, at 13:37, John Gilpin wrote:

I understand that there is no need to compile BASIC programs when using QPC2 (SMSQ) - the SBASIC code can be EXEC'd without TURBO or QLIBERATOR.

Do I take this to mean that I just "Ex win1_program_bas" ? And if it's as easy as that, what are the benefits and drawbacks of doing this?

The introduction to the SMSQ/E manual states:

"SuperBASIC has been replaced by SBASIC . . . which executes at speeds more often associated with compiled SuperBASIC than interpreted SuperBASIC. There is no longer any need to compile SuperBASIC programs: you can just EXECute them."

That may be true of Qlib but Turbo still gives a speed advantage.

The manual also says that you can invoke SBASIC as a "thing". Typing EXEP "sbasic" brings up a daughter SBASIC with its 3 windows. The manual also says that you can start SBASIC with channels and a parameter string. The first channel is taken as the SBASIC program. Thus you should be able to type EXEP "sbasic",ram1_p_bas to get the same effect as EX ram1_p_bas. Unfortunately this doesn't work because EXEP ignores the channels given to it. However you can use my EXEG instead. Typing EXEG "sbasic",ram1_p_bas does indeed execute ram1_p_bas.

George