Harking back a bit.
Having followed the thread I am a little puzzled.

If large files are a burden to access time why not use smaller QXL.WINs ? Have several.

The QL taught me a primary lesson, seperation of prog's & data, MDV1 & 2, QDOS in ROM to me is analagous to the Windows C: drive, off and from which I keep everything possible, out of Uncle Bill's mucky sandpit.

I have always used several drives or volumes and able have a QXL.win on each, not that I ever used a full batch. A problem if your PC only has C: which is bad news anyway, MS recomend the Pagefile is in a different volume.

A possible work around might be to mount a folder as a volume