Marcel Kilgus wrote:
Tony Firshman wrote:
Usnet use inline so why not here?

My 2 cents: I'm fully with Tony on this one but also think that it's a
battle against windmills and thus cannot be won.

Marcel

No. People eventually learn that top-posting is wrong (and contrary to everything, as it destroys all chance of following what has happened in a thread). They learn, when they notice that no one replies to their contributions.

The practice is required netiquette, on NNTP newsgroups, as the early parts of a thread are no longer available. Joining a thread is made simple, when one can just read the thread, in correct, logical sequence, from top to bottom of the latest post.

It is no different on a mailing list, where it makes it impossible for a newcomer to understand what a thread is about, it it has been mangled by out-of-sequence postings.

I just ignore top-posted contributions, and never reply to them.

Google: top-posting netiquette

(PS. Hi all.)

--
ASC Decoder at <http://www32.brinkster.com/ascdecode/>