I'm currently using the RF output but I ordered a converter board from Jammaboards to be able to hook the RGB output to a VGA monitor so that should help isolate the problem. Well, actually I won't be needing the
TV output anymore if the converter board works as advertised but it
would be nice to be able to fix the problem anyway.

Petri
Does your television have a SCART/Peritel connector? While you wait for the RGB converter board and take time to experiment with it, you might be able to get a slightly better picture via the SCART/Peritel connection to the television if you have suitable plugs (QL 8-pin DIN plug and a Peritel or SCART connector for the TV)

There's an article about how to do this on my website at: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/hardware/index.html

Tony Firshman (TF Services) has in the past supplied me with a ready-made suitable lead for the QL. I forget the price, although I think it was about 10 or 12 pounds plus our Value Added Tax (VAT). For me, anyway, this type of connection didn't give as good a picture as a proper monitor connection, but it was better than the RF picture.

There is also the possibility of getting a second-user QL monitor. Microvitec in England have some refurbished QL monitors, according to a member of this list in March this year - the contact email address given was sales AT microvitec DOT co DOT uk . They have TTL-compatible LCD displays, though these cost a thousand pounds or more, and also have some of their old QL monitors.

And I guess that both eBay and Rich Mellor's "Sell My Retro" sites might have QL monitors from time to time too.